Sunday, November 22, 2009

Laundry

Ah, yes, the dreaded, never-ending task! Some things I've found that work great and save money, too!

Baking Soda: add 1/2 cup to your laundry for brighter colors, whiter whites, and fresher laundry... I use this mainly with my cloth diapers and mama pads. If your hubby has really dirty (smelly/stained) work clothes, I would definitely add. This also acts as a natural fabric softener when added during the rinse cycle.

Vinegar: again, a great fabric softener/lint reducer/static reducer when added during the final rinse cycle... I have read that you need to be careful with this if you have hard water, so you might want to do a little research on that if it's an issue for you.

dropps!: I recently received a pack of the Scent + Dye Free Variety. I love them!!! So easy, so not messy, and my clothes are so clean! I definitely recommend them! This may be my new favorite laundry detergent.

Soap Nuts: these sound really cool, I've read lots of things about people loving them, and I just haven't tried them yet. Since these are 100% natural (they grow on trees), I don't think it matters what brand you get, so I say go for the cheapest ones! :) Google "soap nuts" and you'll find a variety of places to buy them as well as instructions on how to use them. If you use them, please comment on this post and let us all know what you think.

Dryer Balls: I think these are a must-have, and there's no reason not to use these since you can buy them anywhere now. That said, there are some options here. I've been using the original blue dryer balls, since that's what was out when I got them. There are now pink ones that claim to reduce static better. From what I hear, the best way to go is to use wool dryer balls. You can even make them yourself. But again, I haven't tried these yet, so please comment if you have. My blue ones aren't showing any signs of wearing out or anything, so I'm probably just going to keep using them, at least for now. Some will say tennis balls work well, too.

Interested in making your own laundry detergent and saving even more green? Check out these recipes to make your own detergent. This is another one I haven't tried, but another reason for those who have to share! Please share your recipes, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment