Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Philosophy & Preparation

I began my green journey several years ago, and it is just that, but I am presenting ideas about going green to my MOPS group, and I wanted to create this blog as a reference and resource for them (and anyone else who comes along).

It's impossible to be 100% green, at least if you are going to live in this culture. And being green... well, it isn't really something to "be." But part of our journey, part of our becoming and evolving should be movement toward green-ness.

When God created Adam and Eve and gave them dominion over the earth, mastery over the birds of the air and the fish of the sea, he did not mean for them to do everything in their power to destroy his creation. On the contrary, he was giving them (and us) the resonsibility to care for His creation, to be good stewards of the land and the life He had created. We are told that he cares deeply for the lilies of the field and the birds of the air. I strongly belief the earth has been entrusted to our care by its Creator, and we have too long abused that. This earth may be our temporary home, but it is our home, and our children's home, and their children's children's home. I've always loved the quote, "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children." It's true.

My story, my motivation is simple. Honestly, it's not born from a deep desire to be a tree-hugging hippy. It is driven by my love for my children and for their future. My mother had breast cancer at 43. Friends and relatives are dealing with children with autism in increasingly alarming amounts. Every time I turn around someone else has cancer somewhere, and age no longer seems to matter. And what's with puberty hitting at age 10, anyway?! So while I desire to be gentle to the earth, to treat her with respect, to leave as small a footprint as possible for those who come after me; I really am focused on the health of my family. Removing the added chemicals and hormones from the things my family is exposed to happens to be good for the earth as well.

I don't know it all. I'm on a journey, and I'm learning... from a lot of different people. My goal is simply to provide some ideas and resources where you can find more information. Join me on the journey, and please share where your journey takes you. We can all learn from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment